Pedagogy Before Technology
Without a doubt, technology has changed our lives. When it comes to education, it has drastically impacted the way we teach and how students learn. Recent events have taken that impact to another level. After the pandemic, we have had to adjust to ways that can take student learning to levels we did not imagine possible.
From what I’ve observed these last few years, there is no doubt that students enjoy learning with the help of technology. They enjoy lessons that involve videos, virtual tours, and the use of laptops and/or tablets. I have to say that even though I do not agree to certain circumstances such as continuous use of technology throughout the day, it has helped us educators to teach students in an engaging way that has positive learning outcomes. If it were up to students, they could be using the devices throughout the entire day. Usually, if they are working on a program where students are practicing a skill, the child will want to stop after a certain amount of time, but when a project has been assigned and it involves the creation of something, the student engages in the activity and can spend a good amount of time working on it. In connection to Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy, I can see how those higher order levels of thinking are enhanced when such activities are given. The students immerse themselves into their creativity and being that they are so technology savvy, participate easily in the task.
When it comes to technology in the classroom, I see technology as more of a tool for learning. After teaching for 16 years, I have successfully been able to teach students without the dependency of technology. I have to admit though that using technology as a tool for learning has had its benefits as well. Like mentioned before, it engages students in many ways. Even though they are learning something and/or applying knowledge, they feel like they are “playing games” and it keeps them wanting to continue. Technology makes it fun for students to learn and practice. It also allows them to collaborate with other students which has its benefits too.
Just like classroom teachers, librarians must keep up to date with the latest technology programs in order to better serve their students. Librarians wear many hats, and being a teacher is one of them, so it is crucial that they support establishing a good foundation when it comes to using technology.. Librarians must use technology in order to better prepare students for a world that is dependent on it. I think that as technology changes it will continue to impact our instruction by allowing us to reach those higher levels of Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy. The updated version integrates technology as it becomes an essential part of our teaching. As stated in the video provided by CommonSense.org, “This updated version aims to expand upon the skills associated with each level as technology becomes a more engrained – and essential - part of learning” (Common Sense Education, 2022.)
Unquestionably, technology has not only taken over our lives but our schools too. It has shaped the way we communicate, complete tasks, and even learn. As a future librarian, I feel the need to continue expanding my knowledge as I will then be preparing students for a world which relies heavily on technology and its proper use.
References
[Film]. (n.d.). https://www.commonsense.org/education/videos/blooms-digital-taxonomy
Common Sense Education. (2022, October 2). .What is Bloom's Digital Taxonomy? . - YouTube. Retrieved September 2, 2023, from https://www.commonsense.org/education/videos/blooms-digital-taxonomy
Hello Brenda! I agree that technology has taken over many tasks in our lives. It has became part of our normal activities which can be seen to help enhance the learning of students, librarians, teachers, and staff. Librarians do wear many hats in schools and a vital part is helping learners correctly use the tools to enhance their learning. In learning, students do enjoy it through technology. While in the classroom, I have seen that students sometimes respond and learn better with the integration of technology. Therefore, it is our job as upcoming librarians to stay current with the changes in order to provide the best learning experience possible.
ReplyDeleteThere are ways to leverage what humans already want to do~ if it feels like a game, then the learning happens anyway. What I wonder about this is how do we teach persistence if everything has to be entertaining?
ReplyDeleteHey Brenda! I think you brought up a very interesting point about student perceptions of technology if they are practicing a skill versus doing a creative project. The increase in technology options really does open up possibilities to many more kinds of projects than used to be available in the classroom!
ReplyDelete