Saturday, February 24, 2024

LSSL 5385 Module 2 Book Reviews

Title:  Living Beyond Borders 

Bibliography: 

Longoria, M. (2022). Living Beyond Borders: Growing Up Mexican in America (M. Longoria, Ed.). Penguin Young Readers Group.

ISBN:  978-0593204986


Summary: 

Living Beyond Borders is an anthology that contains 20 works by multiple prize-winning Mexican-American writers and artists.  This book was edited by South Texas librarian and book blogger Margarita Longoria. In Living Beyond Borders, Mexican American authors share stories about their experiences crossing borders, overcoming struggles, and navigating two cultures.  


Critical Analysis:

Living Beyond Borders is a powerful, entertaining, and very informative anthology.  It offers 20 short stories, essays, and poems written by award-winning Mexican-American authors.  The stories range from experiences of crossing the border, to the way they have dealt with certain struggles and how they overcame them.  As a Mexican-American myself, I can say that I felt a connection as soon as I started reading this book.  The stories hit close to home.  I have not experienced many of the issues mentioned in this book, but surely know people who have.  Stories such as Ghetto Is Not An Adjective by Dominic Carrillo, mention certain things that I was immediately drawn to.  It made me realize how so many of us share thoughts and feelings on situations such as being caught in the middle of two cultures.  

  

This story collection is aimed at young-adult readers, however, older readers can easily be drawn into the stories shared in this book. These stories can cause multiple emotions in any reader.  In this book, the author presents the issues in a beautiful way and makes the reader feel connected to what he/she has been through.  Undoubtedly, it is one of the best books I have ever read.  


Review Excerpts:

*"This superb anthology of short stories, comics, and poems is fresh, funny, and full of authentic YA voices revealing what it means to be Mexican American . . . Not to be missed."--SLC, starred review

 

*"Superlative . . . A memorable collection." --Booklist, starred review


*"Voices reach out from the pages of this anthology . . . It will make a lasting impression on all readers." --SLJ, starred review


Connections:

Related books:

¡Ándale, Prieta!

Wild Tongues Can't Be Tamed: 15 Voices from the Latinx Diaspora




Title:  What My Mother Doesn't Know

Bibliography:

Sones, S. (2013). What My Mother Doesn't Know. Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers.

ISBN:  978-1442493858


Summary:

What My Mother Doesn't Know is a young adult novel in verse by Sonya Sones. This novel follows the journey of ninth-grader Sophie Stein as she struggles through the experiences of being a freshman in high school, ongoing issues with her parents, and her multiple romantic relationships.  Sophie is completely infatuated with boys and wants to find the right one.  After she breaks up with her boyfriend Dylan, she immediately looks for another relationship.  After an unsuccessful attempt, she finds love in the school geek, Murphy.  


Critical Analysis:

What My Mother Doesn't Know is a young adult novel which can definitely be enjoyed by this age group.  I am not sure that other age groups could relate as much as a teenager going through similar situations.  In this novel, high school romantic relationships are the focus. Possibly the conflict could have been more on the difficult relationship Sophie had with her mother, but instead the emphasis was on Sophie dating this great guy who happens to not be popular or handsome.  It also focuses on the fear Sophie feels about introducing him to her friends and how that will be embarrassing for her.  I know these topics are something common for teens, but I wish there had been more focus on something else.  Perhaps something that could have revealed more about Sophie's inner life.



Overall, the novel was a good read that is probably quite appealing to young adults.  

Even though I am not a big fan of novels written in verse, I was able to go through this book and enjoyed the story.  


Awards Won:

Chosen an American Library Association Best Books for Young Adults (2002) 

Chosen an American Library Association Top Ten Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers (2002)

Named an International Reading Association Young Adults' Choice (2003)


Review Excerpts:

"Booklist" Starred review Fast, funny, touching.


"Entertainment Weekly" Winning.


"Publishers Weekly" Honest...destined to captivate.


Kirkus Reviews Starred review A verse experience that will leave readers sighing with recognition and satisfaction.


Connections:

Other books by Sonya Sones:

What My Girlfriend Doesn't Know 

To Be Perfectly Honest (A Novel Based on an Untrue Story)

Stop Pretending




Title:  My Friend Dahmer

Bibliography:

Backderf, D. (2012). My Friend Dahmer.. New York: Abrams

ISBN:  978-1419702174


Summary:

My Friend Dahmer is a graphic novel and memoir in which Derf Backderf writes about his recollection of what Jeffrey Dahmer was like when he attended school with him in Ohio during the 1970’s. Dahmer and Jeff met in seventh grade, when Jeffrey was a shy, quiet boy. As time progressed and they transitioned into high school, Jeffrey started acting out.  He faked seizures and would frequently be intoxicated in school.  His parents split and this made things even harder for him.  All of this happens while he battles other internal issues such as his sexuality. Dahmer was gay, but was ashamed of it and wanted no one to know about it.  Once he graduated from high school, he found his first murder victim, a hitchhiker. This was only the beginning to a series of murders he commits before he gets caught.


Critical Analysis:

I have to admit that this novel evoked an emotional response from me.  After watching a documentary on Jeffrey Dahmer, I was familiar with his case but never thought this book would change my perspective.  As questioned in the book, could someone have intervened and prevented Dahmer from killing several people?  I guess we’ll never know, but it is a question that probably many of us wonder about.  As an educator, I feel that it is important to invest time in getting to know our students. I feel that stories like My Friend Dahmer, are a great way to bring awareness to issues such as children and teens who are acting out and how they may be struggling with something darker than what it seems.  These novels also offer an opportunity to better understand certain cases.


In Derf Backderf's graphic novel, the reader becomes part of the story. Backderf uses graphics that help the reader understand what he is trying to convey. This book offers several themes.  Among them is the theme of how you might think you know someone, when in reality you have no idea what they are like or what they are going through. I feel this is a message that Backderf makes perfectly clear and along with it, encourages empathy.  


This was the first time I read a memoir in graphic format. It was a very interesting read, strong but interesting.  I feel like the author wrote this story as a way to cope with “guilty feelings” but at the same time has offered the reader a different perspective to this case. 


Awards Won:

Alex Awards, 2013

Great Graphic Novels for Teens, 2013


Review Excerpts:

“An exemplary demonstration of the transformative possibilities of graphic narrative.” – Kirkus Reviews


Connections:

Other books by Derf Backderf:

Trashed

Punk Rock and Trailer Parks

Kent State: Four Dead in Ohio


Related books:

Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?

Green River Killer: A True Detective Story





No comments:

Post a Comment